
On our first day in Guayaquil, we watched the iguanas for a while and then went across the street from the park to see the Iglesia Catedral (church). It was beautiful and the architecture and stained glass were amazing. After that we walked farther into the city and came across rows upon rows of vendors. I think I’m going to suggest the motto for the city be “Don’t worry, you’ll find it in Guayaquil.” Seriously, they had everything. Thank god every other vendor was selling irons and blenders because I desperately needed 6 of each. And oh…my….gawd…shoes! There must have been 3 city blocks of shoe vendors. It was a little too overwhelming to actually buy anything so we made our way back to the vendor-free area.
Guayaquil stretches along the Rio (River) Daule and all along the waterfront there is a beautiful promenade called the Malecon. Everything is really well-maintained and there’s playgrounds where the kids play and of course, more shopping. We walked on the promenade for a while and then the humidity started to get to us so we went back to Parque Semanario to catch the bus “home”.
Day 2 in Guayaquil my dad was on a mission to find an authentic Panama hat. For some reason this was the place to buy them, why not in Panama, I have no idea. We saw a man wearing one on the bus ride and he was happy to show us the way. It was, as Borat would say, great success! January-April is rainy season in Guayquil and we got to experience this weather during our second day there. During a passing shower we went to an anthropology and modern art museum. The modern art was all from local artists and it was really interesting. The one artist dressed tiny dolls in colorful fabric and attached lots of them together on a square or round canvas.
After the rain stopped, we climbed 444 stairs to get to the top of a lighthouse that we heard had an incredible view of the city. And it did…see for yourself

The stairs were numbered along the way, that’s how we know it was 444. Mom’s best quote so far…“Look! They’re numbered in English!”
We spent the day sailing to Lima, Peru and we should arrive tomorrow morning. The weather was perfect today…a little too perfect, I spent a little too much time in the sun and got some interesting sunburn. It looks like I was eating red popsicles all day because around my mouth is red and just for Casey, I got some on my eyelids. Also my left foot is burnt, but not the right…hmmm. I hope all is well at home, I wish I could share the sunshine with everyone, but maybe not the sunburn.
4 comments:
Claire! Both of those pictures are beautiful! I'm so jealous of everything you're getting to see! Oh, by the way, thanks for getting sunburn on your eyelids for me. Haha, now you know how it feels! I'm glad to hear you're having nice weather and it sounds like you're learning alot too.. Haha. Have fun in Lima!
Claire - The folks in Spartanburg, South Carolina want to know if water drains in the opposite direction when you are below the equator. Also, give our best to Joe.
Dear Claire!
I wish you buon Voyage from vienna! I am your aunt gabi. I wish I could be with you all with you travelling but I can not let my 3 little guys home ;-)! I have to keep an eye on them! Finally we have a little snow and I am exciting because we will go in 2 week skiing in the alps. It was too warm recently.
I will keep looking in your diary! All the best and enjoy your cruise!
with love
your aunt gabi
+++++++
Claire,
Gabi emailed the above note, but intended it as a comment.
We’re just now getting logged into your blog. I’ve printed out the map for the boys & we'll update your location as you write. Your account to date has been a pleasure to read; please keep it up.
All the best -- to Maria & Joe as well!
(U)TOm
Hi Claire,
You don't know me, but your dad does. I'm the editor-in-chief of Men's Health Portugal.
I see you guys are having a lot of fun! Sorry about your sunburn though!
Please say Hi to your dad!
Best, Paulo.
Post a Comment